The overwhelming world of Pinterest

I love Pinterest, it is that simple. However, I did not think about the life challenges Pinterest has given me. I feel in love with Pinterest but never stopped to think about what negative effects it has on my life.

If you are like me you have Pinterest on your laptop, a shortcut of course, and then you have the app on your phone and maybe even your tablet. Have you thought to add up the total about of time Pinterest gets in your day? I never did till I woke up one day and thought about it, really thought about it. In total Pinterest gets about 4 hours a day, that is 4 hours I could be living a life.

Deciding to put my mental health first has lead me to re-evaluate my life and the different aspects of my life. Pinterest being an aspect of my life as it gets so many minutes in my day. As I write this post-Pinterest is open in the next tab, just in case I suddenly think of something to look for. When I decided to look at what affects my mental health I came to realise the realisation of the effect that Pinterest has.

I would, and still do, spend hours looking at gym plans, healthy meals goals and body goals on Pinterest but do you think I actually go to the gym? This is the part that made me really think about what I do with my life, I spend an hour getting the motivation to go to the gym but then do not go, due to perhaps time restrictions or not feeling motivated. This hour that I spent looking at a gym workout online could have been spent in the gym. I will spend hours looking at how to restyle one’s clothes on Pinterest but then when it comes to actually doing it I don’t. This was negative affect one, I spend time looking at the thing, may it be the gym or making something, rather than actually getting off my bottom and doing it.

When I started blogging I used Pinterest a lot, for everything really. How to start a blog, how to be a blogger, what to do to be a good blogger and the list goes on. What I did not realise is that by doing this I was in a way setting myself up to fail. I was comparing myself to the ideal blogger who has probably been blogging for years and I was only a beginner. Soon I started to feel that I was never going to be good enough and I got very demotivated to blog, something that brought me so much joy. Through Pinterest, I was showing myself what I was never going to be in a month, a year maybe two.

Another thing that Pinterest does to me is it overwhelms me with ideas to the point where I feel paralysed. I get so many ideas that I do not know where to start or what to do. For example, with Easter approaching, I have been checking out some fun ideas however I am now in a position where I have so many ideas I do not know which to do. I get so engrossed with what Pinterest has to offer that once again I am stuck. I also find that there are so many pretty things on Pinterest that I start to want a life that is not mine and then I start to be disappointed in my own life. If I take Pinterest away I actaully really like my life.

I have come to the idea that Pinterest is great but it makes me feel like I am not good enough and that I will never be good enough. I hope one day to live the life I dream of but that will take work and time. By being on Pinterest so often and to get ideas for everything I have seen that I am slowly losing my uniqueness because I want to be like that and that and that. Why don’t I just want to be Ashton?

Have you ever considered how much of your life you give to Pinterest? Is it really worth it?

SaveSave

1. Gabrielle Banner

March 19, 2018 at 6:02 pm

I’ve been lucky enough to not get wrapped up in Pinterest too much – Instagram is my downfall for the same reasons! I’ve mainly used Pinterest for wedding planning and couldn’t get into it for blog related stuff, although I know a lot of bloggers get a lot of traffic through it!

1. admin

March 20, 2018 at 6:31 am

I also havent found it to be that useful with getting blog traffic

2. Alice

March 19, 2018 at 7:01 pm

I relate to this so much! There’s that many different ideas and goals etc that I end up not doing any of them because I just get so overwhelmed. It’s defintely a place where there’s so many “outfit goals” and “home decor goals” that I just wish I could achieve but I can’t because I’m not that rich. I try my best not to let it get me down, it’s super important to have social media cleanses I think, as platforms such as Instagram can make me feel very similar as well x

Alice | http://www.accordingtoalicex.com

1. admin

March 20, 2018 at 6:32 am

I had this problem with Instagram but I am trying to take a little break from it to clear the mind

3. Sabah

March 19, 2018 at 7:15 pm

Ahh this is so relatable. I could scroll through Pinterest for ages but, like you, I also feel a little overwhelmed with ideas. The amount of times I’ve made changes to my room this year so far is crazy. It’s still not how I want it though. Haha.

Sabah || womanishaffairs.org

4. Andrea

March 19, 2018 at 7:22 pm

This was such an interesting post! I’ve never really got into Pinterest, I only downloaded it for the nice wallpapers I use for my lock screen on my phone 😂 xx

5. Paige

March 19, 2018 at 7:30 pm

I agree that Pinterest can be overwhelming at times. I love it, but sometimes it feels like information overload! It’s also so easy to compare yourself to other bloggers on there. Sometimes I just like to take a step back and stay off it for a few days!

1. admin

March 20, 2018 at 6:29 am

It really clears the mind to step back

6. Ellyn Rebecca

March 19, 2018 at 10:13 pm

I look at Pinterest only for interior inspiration, Instagram can already be a little overwhelming sometimes, I don’t want Pinterest to do that too!

Ellyn x | Life Of A Beauty Nerd

7. Sophie

March 19, 2018 at 10:31 pm

I picked the absolute worst time to read this. I just started a new Pinterest account for my blog recently and I started doing my first pins today. I can see how it can become addictive though!! x

Sophie

1. admin

March 20, 2018 at 6:32 am

Good luck love I am sure you will be just fine xx

8. Lila

March 20, 2018 at 12:30 pm

Reading this has helped me reflect on what I really want to get out of Pinterest. I have always liked it for ideas and inspiration but I use it in small doses. I recently started using it to push my blog and honestly no traffic – just yet.

I will take a step back and rethink the whole thing coz it now feels like a job going there to pin all this stuff yet all I used to do was get inspiration and actually replicate.

9. Tasha

March 20, 2018 at 5:29 pm

I can definitely relate to this! When I was in the process of buying my house I looked at so many beautiful home ideas on Pinterest that I was almost disappointed when I moved in to discover it was just a new house with my same old stuff! Same with Instagram, too much time on there and I begin to hate how my home doesn’t look like a show home even though theirs probably doesn’t either, they are just showing you that one perfect corner!
    I think it’s a good idea to step back a bit from anything that makes you feel like this!

1. admin

March 20, 2018 at 7:11 pm

I am sorry to hear that. Also when one does not have all the money in the world to just buy things it can be very disappointing

10. Huda

March 20, 2018 at 7:58 pm

I actually have a Pinterest however I only go there sometimes when I am really in need of inspo! Most of my time is spent on Instagram and that is something I really want to fix because I spent way too much time on there! Great post! xx

11. Alice

March 21, 2018 at 12:56 pm

I think this can be really similar with all social medias, I’ve never really gotten into Pinterest personally but I definitely feel that I compare myself/my life and everything to do with it with other peoples on social media and it is toxic as you never see behind the scenes. I try to remember that a scene in a picture can be super pretty but on the other side of the camera it could be a mess!
    Alice Xx

12. Jessica

March 21, 2018 at 5:45 pm

Honestly, I haven’t found the benefit of connecting my blog to my pinterest account yet. It doesn’t seem to draw much traffic for me but overall, I LOVE ME SOME PINTEREST!! 🙂 I’m always looking for different ideas on there whether it’s for arts/crafts, food, fashion, funny/encouraging memes or blog topic ideas! 🙂 I love that app lol Sometimes I’m on it more than I am Facebook or the other social media sites. This is a great post by the way!! 🙂

1. admin

March 22, 2018 at 6:12 am

I know pinterest is amazing. I am glad you found my post good x

13. Charlotte Lane

March 26, 2018 at 1:07 pm

I have this with Instagram! I’m constantly comparing my blog and photography to others and it’s definitely not good for your mental health at all. I’ve taken a slight step back recently and I feel better for not comparing myself xo

Char | http://www.charslittleblog.co.uk

1. admin

March 27, 2018 at 8:32 am

It is a trap that happens to us all and it is not healthy. I hope this break helps you

14. Megan

March 27, 2018 at 7:13 pm

It’s so tricky not to fall into the trap of obsessive behaviour with social media! I’m addicted to instagram but i also find myself scrolling through Pinterest too now!

15. Megan

October 3, 2018 at 7:53 pm

Just stumbled across your post and I agree 1000% with what you’re saying. I just wrote a post similar to this on my own blog, which I’ve been unmotivated to really put time into due to Pinterest overwhelm and feeling inadequate. I find myself feeling like I HAVE to be on pinterest or instagram 24/7 promoting myself, seeing what other people are doing, getting followers, and etc. Especially in the home decor/design sphere – it’s just felt fake. When I tell myself no, take some time away from social media – I do get more creative and more confident in myself but again – I feel like I’m losing readers, followers, etc. It’s such new territory for me to navigate. I’m so glad other people feel the same way though. Thank you for this great post!