How clean is that beauty blender you use?

Have you ever wondered how much bacteria your beauty blender carries? I can’t help but wonder how much dirt they absorb and keep. Yes, this is a gross thought but I can not help but think about it. Off to google, I went to do some research and then I  did my own little test.

The first site I went onto told the story of a girl who cut open her beauty blender to find four little black worm like bugs. This was enough to make me want to never use a beauty blender again but I know better than to trust one site. The next site I read spoke more about how the germs on one’s sponge come from one’s skin so can they really be that harmful. This site took the point of view that germs are natural so they will not bring you any harm.

My feelings on this are yes germs are natural but ones facial skin is sensitive and I do not really want to be adding to my already difficult skin.  I very good point which this site made was that if one has a pimple, cut or any sort of skin infection the sponge will absorb this. This will lead to the infection or bacteria growing in the sponge and then when used again it can spread the infection. Moral of this little story was clean your makeup sponges and beauty blenders.

What I am really shocked about is that there is next to no information about how hygienic beauty blenders are or are not. I really thought there would be more about it. I have found a lot on how to clean one’s beauty blender, so now I will be taking a little time to see how much dirt comes out my sponge.

A number one DIY method that kept coming up when looking at the best way to clean a beauty blender was olive oil and dishwasher liquid. Before I show you the pictures I have to say how amazing this cleaning method is. It works like a charm, let me show you with my beauty blender.

Before I started to clean it

During the cleaning process, this is what the water looked like

When I squeezed the sponge in my hand

Really gross to look at the amount of stuff that is coming out. I ended up doing this process twice just to be extra safe. I am amazed at the results. Here is my now clean beauty blender

Compare the before and after

Amazing right??

1. Sophie Wentworth

March 25, 2018 at 11:22 am

It’s gross when you think about all of the bacteria on your tools if they’re not cleaned correctly. I’ve never seen the olive oil trick before but I’ll definitely be using it! Yours looks great in the after shots x

Sophie

1. admin

March 25, 2018 at 4:50 pm

It worked so well to clean it and it blends so nicely now x

2. Kelly

March 25, 2018 at 11:40 am

Oh my gosh! I’ve read some horror stories about people who don’t clean their brushes or beauty blenders! I mean it’s the biggest chore ever, but needs to be done haha!
    Look how squeaky clean it looks after! And I bet it blends better too when clean!

Kelly

1. admin

March 25, 2018 at 4:50 pm

It works so much better.

3. Ellie phillips

March 25, 2018 at 11:46 am

I need to clean my beauty blender ahah!

4. ChroniqueDeStyle

March 25, 2018 at 12:14 pm

I am not surprised at all ! These beauty blenders are true bacteria-magnets in my opinion, I think the only -safe- way to use them is to clean them after each use.. but then again, wouldn’t they collect dirt from being in contact with other products in the makeup bag ? we should probably go back to using our hands haha 😛
    Anyways, thank you for sharing this post with us and spreading awareness about something that so many people neglect !

1. admin

March 25, 2018 at 4:49 pm

Yes they do that is why it is best to keep it seperate

5. Disa Rastogi

March 25, 2018 at 12:17 pm

Wonderful way to clean beauty blender 👍

6. Lena Dee

March 25, 2018 at 1:12 pm

Oh wow! Absolutely amazeballs! I love beauty blenders but they can trap so much dirt and and bacteria. I try to clean mine as often as possible using shampoo actually and it works quite nice. But this method is worth giving a try…thanks for sharing 😊

xx Lena | http://lenadeexo.com

1. admin

March 25, 2018 at 4:48 pm

I hope it works as well as it did for me

7. bryony baker

March 25, 2018 at 5:47 pm

I’m so so bad at remembering to clean my beauty blender, I’ve been meaning to get a new one as I’ve had my current for a few months now. I’m going to clean mine as soon as I get home now, the thought of all the bacteria that might be in there is just EW!

8. Katie

March 25, 2018 at 5:50 pm

This is brilliant because I really went off beauty blenders because of how messy they get. Thanks for sharing x

9. Katy Mackenzie

March 25, 2018 at 6:13 pm

Love this post! I never know how to clean my beauty blender due to the amount of stuff online about how to “clean it properly”! Will be definitely trying this on my own!

1. admin

March 27, 2018 at 8:35 am

I hope it works as well for you as it did for me

10. Chloe

March 25, 2018 at 6:17 pm

Great post! I was fearful you were going to tell me beauty blenders were a 100% no-no, but instead am delighted to see you are vouching for the same method I use! Fab post!

1. admin

March 27, 2018 at 8:34 am

So glad you likes it x

11. Stephanie Jay

March 25, 2018 at 7:43 pm

Ah this has reminded me that I really need to clean my beauty blender and make up brushes – thanks for the tip on how to clean the beauty blender!

12. Louisa

March 25, 2018 at 9:19 pm

I can’t believe you got it so clean!
    Beauty blenders are wonderful but boy they’re tricky to clean. To me, they never feel clean enough and occasionally I do just see it as a bacteria haven (ew…).

Louisa | http://www.loubeeloublogs.blogspot.co.uk

1. admin

March 27, 2018 at 8:34 am

Try this method it works so well

13. Alice

March 25, 2018 at 9:54 pm

I always end up destroying my beauty blender in the cleaning process so I just buy a new one now instead of reusing it haha! I will definitely try this trick now though, fab post!
    Alice Xx

14. J

March 26, 2018 at 1:30 am

I can’t believe there were worms in one…that doens’t make sense! They would’ve had to never ever wash it to have that happen. Gross. I definitely should wash mine more. It grosses me out that makeup artists use them on so many different people even though they clean them, I dunno I just feel like you shouldn’t swap them on people!

1. admin

March 27, 2018 at 8:33 am

I totally agree with this. I feel like makeup artists shouldn’t share things between clients