How I clean my makeup brushes

After my beauty blender cleaning post, I got a few messages asking me what I use to clean my make up brushes. The whole process is very simple, to be honest with you but it does take some time. Makeup brushes need to be cleaned often due to the bacteria they pick up.

I use an urban studio cosmetic brush shampoo with a little pink brush cleaning mat that goes over my fingers. I put some water on my brushes, a little shampoo on the mat and then rub the brush on it till it gets clean. I then rinse the brushes and lay them down flat on a towel to dry. Crazy easy isn’t it?

Natural processes

I did some research and found a few different ways you can clean your makeup brushes.

1. 1tsp white vinegar to 1 cup of hot water. Allow your brushes to sit in the water for five minutes and then rinse them off. I gave this a try and found that it did clean my brushes just not as clean as I would like them
  2. Dishwashing liquid with hot water. I did not find this to be very useful so personally, I would not recommend this method.
  3. Vinegar and olive oil. Mix the two and put it on your brushes. Then put the brushes into the water and soak for a little. Rinse off till they feel clean. This also does work but it takes up time and can make one feel rather oily.

1. Nancy

April 14, 2018 at 4:03 am

It is so so so so important to clean your makeup brushes as much as possible! The last place you want bacteria to end up is your face! Love the natural way to clean brushes!

exquisitely.me

2. Ellie phillips

April 14, 2018 at 9:44 pm

I recently bought a little cleaning matt thing to start cleaning my brushes differently! Normally i just use baby shampoo, my hand and a towel hahah!

1. admin

April 15, 2018 at 8:17 am

The cleaning matt and it makes it so much easier

3. kirsty-rose

April 15, 2018 at 7:55 am

I hate cleaning my makeup brushes…even though I know that I should! I am trying to get better at it though! I normally just use some baby shampoo and I also have one of those little mats except mine is in the shape of a heart! x

4. Florence Larwood

April 15, 2018 at 7:56 am

It’s so bad I always forget to clean my brushes! I have those cleaning mats but just forget to do it!
    Florence

1. admin

April 15, 2018 at 8:16 am

I know I used to be so bad at doing it

5. Sarah

April 15, 2018 at 7:57 am

This was good for me to read today – reminded me to clean my brushes as they’re in desperate need of a wash!! 🙂

6. Jemma

April 15, 2018 at 8:19 am

I swear cleaning makeup brushes is one of those necessary evils! Lol. It’s so tedious and boring yet needs to be done. Great natural alternatives there too.

Jemma x

7. Ashleigh

April 15, 2018 at 8:42 am

This reminds me that my brudges need desperately cleaning! It’s so important, yet I’m so bad at doing it
    Ashleigh | http://ashleighwrites.co.uk

8. Sophie Wentworth

April 15, 2018 at 8:53 am

I’ve been thinking about getting one of those little mats, I tend to use a really moisturising shampoo right now x

Sophie

9. Amy Buckle

April 15, 2018 at 9:07 am

I feel like I become so lazy with cleaning my brushes, but it’s really important. Really useful post, thanks ☺️

10. Sakhile

April 15, 2018 at 9:55 am

Just remembered I haven’t cleaned my brushes in a while. Thanks for this post. I usually use dishwashing liquid or shampoo. I’ve been thinking of buying a brush cleanser though.

11. Becky

April 15, 2018 at 10:24 am

I hate cleaning my make up brushes but I know its a necessity. This was a really helpful post

12. Geet

April 15, 2018 at 10:54 am

We do so much to keep our facial skin clean and cleaning brushes regularly is so important.
    Amazing post 💛

13. Ingrid Opstad

April 15, 2018 at 11:18 am

Thanks for the tips, I need to clean my brushes so this is very helpful!
    Ingrid | thatscandinavianfeeling.com

14. Jess

April 15, 2018 at 12:18 pm

I absolutely hate cleaning my makeup brushes it’s such a chore! I would much rather get new ones (if only I could afford to every time they needed cleaning haha!) I’ve got something from Real Techniques which is similar to the mat you use and it definitely makes it a bit easier when it comes to the dreaded cleaning time! Great post hun!

Jess // foundationsandfairytales.wordpress.com
    xx

1. admin

April 15, 2018 at 12:59 pm

I also find it such a chore to clean my brushes, i just keep reminding myself that it needs to be done

15. Ms Via

April 15, 2018 at 12:22 pm

I clean my brushes using baby shampoo and the same little brush cleaner that you have featured. I have never tried the other methods because I feel my brushes may have some smell to them. 🙂

Via | http://glossnglitters.com

1. admin

April 15, 2018 at 1:00 pm

Ive heard a lot of people say baby shampoo but i havent given it a try yet

16. Laura

April 15, 2018 at 12:48 pm

Thank you so much for these tips! I’m really bad at cleaning my brushes, I had a period when I just bought new ones when the old ones were too dirty. I know, it’s such an unnecessary waste of money! I’m trying to keep up with the cleaning game now.

1. admin

April 15, 2018 at 1:00 pm

I was going to do that and then i cleaned mine and they felt and looked brand new

17. Ada

April 15, 2018 at 1:51 pm

Lord know I Definitely need to clean my makeup brushes more. This post has inspired me to do that ASAP

18. Nella

April 15, 2018 at 1:52 pm

Great post! I know how important cleaning your brushes are. Trust me. I had to learn after a break out or 2. It’s such a necessary evil. I tend to use the diy method of dish soap and olive oil. I even wrote about it on my blog.

19. Disa Rastogi

April 15, 2018 at 4:15 pm

Thanks for the tips. I think most of us want to clean our brushes but don’t know the right way.

20. Kiara

April 15, 2018 at 4:33 pm

I’m so guilty for not cleaning my brushes…I disgust myself. Thanks for the tips. I’ll be better.

21. Lisa

April 15, 2018 at 6:32 pm

I use good shampoo to clean my brushes, not only does it clean but smells great!

22. Jennifer Cannon

April 15, 2018 at 8:54 pm

Reminds me that I need to buy new brushes! Great post.

23. Erin

April 15, 2018 at 10:33 pm

So important to wash your brushes! You inspired me… I haven’t done it in a while and really need too! I believe this is the same recipe I use to wash mine!

24. refiloe

April 19, 2018 at 5:31 am

I’ve also heard that Baby shampoo and sunlight mild Baby soap work well. I guess I have a brush cleaning appointment this weekend 🙈🙈