Mental Health Awareness

This past week of May has been Mental health awareness week which is something very close to my heart. I feel that the mental health stigma in this day and age is really sad. We claim to live in a modern world yet we do not accept an illness that affects 450 million people. This last week I have been speaking to many people who have a mental illness and the stories of what they have gone through is heart breaking. I spoke to two people who have been discriminated by their bosses because of their mental illnesses.

I asked my lovely followers some questions about mental health and this is what the results were.

1. Do you have a mental illness
    1. 80% said yes
  2. Are you getting professional help?
    1. 100% said no
  3. Do you feel you can ask for help?
    1. 60% said no

These were such sad results, why is it that we do not feel safe to ask for help? I do not have the answer and I just hope that one day there will be an answer.

My plan was to share some stories for this post but after speaking to some people we feel that people actually listen better when they have facts thrown at them. I am going to share some very sad facts about mental health with you today. I hope that when I write this post next year these facts will have improved.

1. suicide accounts for over 800 000 deaths a year
  2. 20% of youth under 14 have a mental illness
  3. depression is the leading cause of disability in the world
  4. 40% of youth will have a mental break by the time they are 19

Sad mental health quotes

“our brains are sick but thats okay because our grades are more important anyway”

“the bravest thing i have ever done is continue living when i wanted to die”

We ask that you think before you speak about our mental illness, it is not something we can just get over.

1. Sarah

May 19, 2018 at 8:57 am

It may not have gone as you planned, but it is still helping to create conversations about mental health – lovely piece x

2. Kayla Pettigrew

May 19, 2018 at 6:50 pm

Thank you for sharing, Ashton. You’re right, people are much more likely to listen and react when faced with these heartbreaking facts. It’s a sad reality that needs more attention! Thank you for shedding some light on the topic.

3. Rose

May 20, 2018 at 12:58 pm

I think creating a space where it’s okay to ask for help is what we should work on. Together with the reducing all the waiting lists that are going on. It’s terrible that one should wait 8 months or more to be helped and feel like they are just left behind with their problem. Very important to see these facts and to anticipate on them in a correct manner.

4. Bexa

May 20, 2018 at 5:18 pm

Wow, those statistics are truly heartbreaking. It’s so sad that so many people struggle with mental health issues and don’t feel they can ask for support. I hope more can be done in the future. Well done on raising awareness on this really important topic 💖 xx

Bexa | http://www.hellobexa.com

5. Cynthia J. Coleman

May 20, 2018 at 5:36 pm

I have depression sometimes and occasionally I have panic attacks. The hardest part for me is that the medicine either has no effect on me or causes other health problems. I tried Wellbutrin briefly several years ago and I felt wonderful, except for the fact that it lead to tinnitus. Maybe offering non-medical or alternative medicine would havebeenbetter, or offering therapy , instead. I think that the stigma of mental illness often keeps people from seeking help.

1. Cynthia J. Coleman

May 20, 2018 at 5:38 pm

Oops, Maybe offering non-medical or alternative medicine would have been better, or offering therapy , instead. I think that the stigma of mental illness often keeps people from seeking help.

6. Kerry Thomas

May 22, 2018 at 9:27 pm

This is a great post. It’s hard to read those statistics. Thank you for sharing. http://mummythomas.blog

7. Katie

May 22, 2018 at 10:28 pm

What an important, and heartfelt post! It really is an epidemic, but great that you are talking and sharing about it. Big hugs to everyone that is having a hard time of late xx

8. Alice

May 24, 2018 at 9:19 am

Well done for writing this Ashton, mental health is still such an undermined issue in so many ways. The more we talk, the more others will too!
    Alice Xx

9. Jennifer Cannon

May 24, 2018 at 12:00 pm

I grew up in a time when Mental Health was as taboo as talking about sex. Although it still isn’t where it should be…just the fact that there is a Mental Health Week means it is better than it used to be. I remember as a kid being in the car and my family making jokes as we drove past the Psychiatric Hospital or what they called “the loony bin “.

Your generation is making great strides in the right direction with this issue!

10. Ellie

May 25, 2018 at 9:49 pm

Such a good thing that you’re raising awareness, a matter so close to my heart so thank you for sharing, those statistics are so shocking x

11. Lena Dee

May 27, 2018 at 5:12 pm

I think this is such an important topic and I thought it was very nice on your behalf to conduct a survey amongst your followers. MH is so prevalent in today’s society and it’s super sad that more isn’t done to help those fighting their internal battles. It really does start as a child and sometimes the pressures we faced in school and never feeling like you’re good enough when you get bad grades. Great post Ash, keep on spreading the word and doing great work ☺️💕

xx Lena | https://lenadeexo.com

12. Audrey Kilstofte

June 21, 2018 at 5:56 am

Wonderful beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your web site, how can i subscribe for a blog web site? The account helped me a acceptable deal. I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered bright clear idea

13. Annelies

June 29, 2018 at 5:26 pm

Those statistics are heartbreaking!
    I’m a psychology student and hearing of how hard it is to live with mental health problems makes the fact it’s a stigma even worse. Everyone should be able to speak about how their feeling :/
    Inspiring post xx

Annelies | https://thefrugalfrenchie.co.uk

1. admin

June 30, 2018 at 10:22 am

I hope that in your work you can help to end the stigma and make a change

14. Retta Escovar

July 1, 2018 at 3:38 am

With thanks! Valuable information!

15. Guadalupe Kanney

July 9, 2018 at 6:27 am

good stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your blog.

16. Ismael Drevs

July 9, 2018 at 8:36 am

I got what you mean,saved to fav, very decent site.

17. Erline Huska

July 10, 2018 at 5:03 pm

good stuff. I will make sure to bookmark your blog.

18. Jeffry Madonia

July 10, 2018 at 6:24 pm

Awesome! Its in fact amazing paragraph, I have got much clear idea regarding from this piece of

19. Todd Osburn

July 12, 2018 at 3:21 am

I think this is one of the most significant information for me. And i am glad reading your article. But want to remark on some general things, The site style is perfect, the articles is really great : D. Good job, cheers

20. Josef Conejo

July 17, 2018 at 6:07 pm

sound like you know what you?re talking about! Thanks