The pain behind your beauty
Now you have probably read the title and think I am going to be talking about how much time and work goes into doing makeup. I am sorry but I will not be, I will be talking about the ugly side of beauty. The unseen victims and the unknown pain we cause. I know that it is never intended but I think that we need to be more aware of what goes on behind the products we buy. This is a subject very close to my heart and I hope that you will leave this post feeling a bit educated and maybe want to make a change. I dream for a world filled with cruelty free products.
If you are very sensitive maybe do not read any further
- there are over 100 million animals hurt ( burnt, injected and must worse) in the US due to animal testing
- 92% of drugs that are safe in animal trials fail in human trails ( this is more medical but I do feel its interesting)
- if a product is to be sold in China it has to be tested in animals
- animals are forced to ingest large doses of products to see how much will cause death
- beagles are a popular choice when it comes to an animal being tested on because they listen to humans
Animal ingredients in our products
When I was researching this I was rather shocked to hear what animal products are in our beauty products
- fish skin and scales used for colour in cosmetics
- fat on sheep and their wool is used in conditioners
- Keratin (the one we all love) is from ground horns, feathers, claws and hooves of animals
What can we do?
I often feel so overwhelmed and wonder if me being one little human in this big world can make a change. I feel that if we stand together and make a big deal out of this very hard topic we can make products stop testing on animals. We have a voice and I feel it is time we use it.
Brands that test on animals
Please note I am not listing all but I will attach links so that you can find more information for yourself. I am making note of the most common brands.
- Head and shoulders
- Cover girl
- Max Factor
Here are some links for you to check out. A list of do test and don’t test http://thedame.tumblr.com/post/11699327886/purpleishboots-chailatteplease
Brands that do not test on animals ( cruelty free brands)
I know that this can make the product cost more but I feel it is worth it and we have a responsibility to support those who help animals.
- Essence ( and they really are not expensive)
- BH Cosmetics
- Drunk Elephant
- Marc Jacobs
I hope that we can make all brands cruelty free and my dream would be for animal testing to be illegal.
How to see if it is cruetly free
Look on the back of the bottle for the happy bunny to see if they are creutly free or not. Make the change and see a change in the world.
Here are a few projects to get involved with if you want to do more.
The beagle bill has to do with stoping testing on beagles, please sign the petition attached to the link: beagel bill
Here is a global petition to sign – be cruelty free
Body shop petition – please sign this one is really making it self known – body shop